Cheltenham Borough Council
Cheltenham Borough Council

Hello, please sign in to your account. New customer? Creating a new account only takes moments.

Frequently Asked Questions: Council tax

Click a question to reveal the answer.

Council tax FAQs

Q: How do I appeal against my property band?

Q: How can I pay my council tax bill?

Q: I'm filling out my direct debit mandate for my council tax - what is my reference number?

Q: I do not get paid until the end of the month, can I pay then?

Q: I don't have my account reference to hand - can I discuss my account with you over the phone?

Q: I can't pay my council tax - What should I do?

Q: Where can I go for independent advice on debt?

Q: I've had a reminder for non payment of council tax. What should I do?

Q: I've had a summons for non payment of council tax. What should I do?

Q: Why have you sent me a summons for the whole year when I've got until March to pay?

Q: Can I stop paying my council tax because I am not satisfied with the standard of certain services?

No. If you stop paying we are obliged to commence recovery action against you. Your liability to pay council tax is not affected by provision of local authority services.

You should contact the local authority responsible for providing the service and say why you are unhappy. You can pursue the matter through the council's complaints procedure if necessary, and ultimately involve your local councillor and/or the ombudsman as appropriate.

Q: How do I apply for council tax benefit?

Q: Do I still have to pay council tax if I have made a benefit application?

Q: Do I still have to pay if I have an appeal outstanding on my council tax?

Q: I am a pensioner - can I have a discount?

Q: I'm in the army - can I have a discount?

Q: My partner is in the army - can I have a single person discount?

Q: Can I get a discount if I work abroad?

Do you have a Question?

Is there anything you would like to know about our services or how we can help?

Why not ask us a question?