Cheltenham Zero community fund
The Cheltenham Zero community fund is now closed to applications.
Apply for funding
In 2019, Cheltenham Borough Council declared a climate emergency and a commitment to be a carbon neutral council and borough by 2030. The goal of a carbon neutral borough will be met by delivering activity which supports and promotes the town’s core vision to be a place where everyone thrives.
Our roadmap to eliminate the borough carbon footprint includes a climate action fund to help finance the road to zero carbon. In 2021 the borough council has a pot of funding, worth £50,000, to allocate to local community organisations and we are now inviting applications for funding to support climate emergency activities across Cheltenham.
The funding will be made available to support initiatives that will result in:
- Carbon reductions
- Energy savings
- Biodiversity gains
- Climate resilience
- Behaviour change
Who can apply?
- Community or voluntary groups
- Registered charities
- Community interest companies
- Town and Parish councils
How much can be applied for?
Any group may apply for a single award up to a maximum of £5,000. Please be aware that as there is only £50,000 available in total, the council will look to fund only those projects that offer the best value for money and applications which evidence match funding will be viewed favourably.
The fund cannot be used for:
- Projects where impact / change can’t be measured
- Projects that are not directly related to the climate emergency agenda
- Re-producing information and advice in leaflets etc that already exists online or could be placed online
- Support for groups that are campaigning on a particular issue
- Projects being delivered outside the boundaries of Cheltenham borough.
- Projects that cannot demonstrate that the necessary permissions will be achieved within the appropriate timescales
Examples of community climate action projects
- Community gardens
- Shared fridges/clothes swapping
- Waste reduction initiatives
- PIR – passive infrared sensor (security/internal light motion sensor)
- Solar PV
- Smart meters
- Energy efficient lighting
- Boiler upgrades/replacements
- Training sessions
- Events promoting climate action/biodiversity
- EV charging points
- Insulation upgrades
- Shared transport
- Water saving devices (flow restrictors)