Council service updates
Municipal Offices closure - appointments only
The Municipal Offices is closed to visitors until further notice. All enquiries regarding council services are currently being delivered by telephone and online:
- Council tax – 01242 264161
- Housing benefit - 01242 264341
- Homelessness - 0800 408 0000
- Licensing - 01242 264135
- All other enquiries - 01242 262626
Whilst the reception is not open on a drop-in basis, face-to-face appointments can be made when necessary. Please telephone one of the above numbers to discuss your requirements. Customers will need to wear a face mask when attending appointments.
Making a payment
Please note that the cash hall has closed permanently and payments by cheque are being phased out. Payments can be made as follows:
- Most payments can be made online at www.cheltenham.gov.uk/payments
- Automated telephone payment line 0300 456 2774 (24 hour service).
- At a bank and Internet banking, the council’s bank account details are:
- Sort code 30-00-00 Account no. 00342572
- Account name: Cheltenham Borough Council Head Office Collection Account.
- Direct debits are available for regular council tax and rent payments.
- To set up a direct debit please contact:
- The council tax department on 01242 264161
- For housing rent contact the rent accounting team on 0800 408 0000
Alternatively if you need to speak to somebody about your payment you can call 01242 262626. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (Wednesday 10am - 5pm) and your payment can be made over the telephone.
To use any of these payment methods, you will need to quote your account reference number.
Waste disposal and service status
The household recycling centre at Swindon Road is now open, please see our advice page below.
Bulky waste collection service resumes on Tuesday 9 June.
We have set up a page with advice and guidance about the disposal of waste and the waste services during the current coronavirus situation. Please check the page for updates.
Council tax and benefits
Our Covid-19 information page will be kept updated with information and advice for our council tax payers.
We also have pages of frequently asked questions for our council tax and benefits customers:
To make sure that we can keep offering cremations as safely as possible during this time we have made some changes to our services.
Using Cheltenham’s parks during COVID-19 lockdown
Our green spaces remain open for you to use. Please check our parks and gardens page for more information and to see which facilities are open.
The planning team are still offering services online and over the phone.
A new and temporary decision making process is now in place to make decisions on applications.
Public health measures
Guidance and information for employers and employees during coronavirus from our environmental health and public protection team.