Can I stop paying my council tax because I am not satisfied with the standard of certain services?

No. If you stop paying we are obliged to start recovery action against you. Your liability to pay council tax is not affected by provision of local authority services.

You should contact the department responsible for providing the service and explain why you are not satisfied. You can find a list of departments and services in our A to Z of services.

You can also follow the council's complaints procedure if necessary, and ultimately involve your local councillor and/or the ombudsman as appropriate.

Do you have a question?

If there is anything you would like to ask us, about our services, our work or how we can help you, then please do.

Ask us a question