What changes can we make to our house if it is in a conservation area?

Within conservation areas, permitted development rights (works that do not require planning permission) are restricted. Permitted development, including external alterations to houses in conservation areas, is restricted to ensure that the character and appearance of the conservation area is preserved or enhanced. 

If you live in a listed building, it is likely that you need to obtain Listed Building Consent before undertaking any works to the building.

Permitted development rights were altered in October 2008. The Town and Country Planning (general permitted development) (ammendment) (no.2) (England) Order 2008 clarifies what works do and do not require planning permission.

Do you have a question?

If there is anything you would like to ask us, about our services, our work or how we can help you, then please do.

Ask us a question