What no-smoking signage must be displayed by law?
No smoking signs in smokefree premises
By law, no-smoking signs must be displayed in a prominent position at every entrance to smokefree premises.
Insert picture of sign
Signs must meet the following minimum requirements:
- be a miminum of A5 in area (210mm x 148mm)
- display the international no-smoking symbol at least 70mm in diameter and
- carry the following words in characters that can easily be read 'No smoking. It is against the law to smoke in these premises.' On the sign, the words 'these premises' may be changed to refer to the particular premises where the sign is displayed, for example 'this gym', 'this salon' or 'this restaurant'.
- are only used by members of staff (providing the premises displays at least one A5 area sign with words, as above), or
- are located within larger smokefree premises (for example, a shop within an indoor shopping centre).
No-smoking signs in smokefree vehicles
Smokefree vehicles must display a no-smoking sign in each compartment of the vehicle in which people can be carried. These no-smoking signs must display the international no-smoking symbol at least 70mm in diameter.
Where can I get the signs?
Signs can be downloaded and printed or ordered from www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/resources
Signs can also be ordered from the Smokefree England information line on 0800 169 169 7.
Do you have a question?
If there is anything you would like to ask us, about our services, our work or how we can help you, then please do.Ask us a question