Voter ID requirements
Voter ID requirements from May 2023
A by election is taking place for the Battledown Ward on Thursday 9 February 2023, if you are voting in person for this election you will not be required to supply voter ID. However, from May 2023 as part of the Elections Act 2022, individuals who wish to vote in person, including those acting as a proxy on behalf of another individual, will be required to bring an accepted form of ID to the polling station in order to be provided with ballot papers.
Acceptable forms of photographic ID
Examples as follows:
- Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or Commonwealth country.
- Photographic driver's licence issued by the UK, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (including provisional drivers license)
- European Economic Area (EEA) photographic ID Card
- UK Biometric Residence Permit
- Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (PASS card)
- Blue badge
View the full list of acceptable photographic ID on the government website.
You will still be able to use ID that has expired provided the photograph still shows likeness.
Only original documents are accepted; scanned images, photocopies or pictures on a device such as a mobile phone will not be accepted.
No suitable photo ID?
If you do not have one of the accepted forms of photo ID, you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate. This is a free photographic identification document specific for the purposes of voting. The application to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate can be done online, in person or paper. Please note that you need to have your National Insurance Number in order to apply.
If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request a paper application form, you can contact us on 01242 264132 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a postal vote, you will not be required to supply voter ID and you will be issued with your postal ballot papers as usual.