Energy bills rebate information
From 1 April 2022, a single £150 council tax rebate was available to most households living in properties in council tax bands A to D.
If application for the rebate was not made by eligible households before 30 September 2022. The rebate has been applied to their council tax account.
The main scheme has now closed and no further payments can be made.
The council has been allocated some discretionary funding to provide support to other energy bill payers who are not eligible for the main scheme or extra support to some households which have already received a payment from the main scheme.
The discretionary scheme is currently open for applications until 30 September 2022 from households who meet the criteria below. All discretionary scheme payments will be for £150.
- Council tax payers that are not eligible for the main energy rebate scheme and meet the following conditions:
- Council tax payers in bands E – H that are in receipt of council tax support
- Council tax payers in bands F – H that are in receipt of a disabled band reduction (those in band E qualify for the main scheme)
- Council tax payers in bands E – H that are in receipt of a carer or severely mentally impaired disregard
- Households that, as a result of a review, proposal or appeal which was made prior to the announcement on 3 February 2022, and is successful after 1 April 2022, are in council tax Bands A to D
- Households that are council tax payers in payers in bands E to H and are in receipt of housing benefit, but do not qualify for council tax support
- Council tax payers that are eligible for a main scheme payment and meet the following conditions are able to apply for a top up payment:
- Council tax payers in payers in bands A to D and are in receipt of housing benefit, but do not qualify for council tax support.
- Council tax payers and have become a new Universal Credit claimant between 26 May and 26 July 2022 and therefore not eligible for the Government’s cost of living payment. Any new claimants eligible for the cost of living payment due to receiving other qualifying benefits are excluded.
- Council tax payers and the eligible person is in receipt of Contributory, or "new style", Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and therefore not eligible for the Government’s cost of living payment. Any new claimants eligible for the cost of living payment due to receiving other qualifying benefits are excluded.
Emails and letters have been sent to households that will be eligible in 1 and 2 above and application can be made by completing the form below.
- Residents who live in a House in Multiple Occupation and are not liable for council tax but are liable to pay the gas/electricity bills. To be eligible the applicant must provide evidence to show the property is their sole or main residence and has been since 1 April 2022 and payment that has been made for energy at the property within the last 3 months.
- Residents in this category will need to call the energy rebate team on 01242 2643230 to make an application. You will need to provide your bank details and provide a statement for the same account showing your name, address, the name of your bank, the sort code and account number. You will also need to provide a bill from your energy company showing your name and address. We cannot process san application from you if you do not have these details.
More information about support for energy bills can be found in the government factsheet on support for energy bills and the cost of living
The council will be carrying out robust pre-payment checks to ensure that the correct liable person receives the energy rebate payment. If we believe that the information we hold about the council tax payer is inaccurate we may withhold payment. Alternatively, if we make a payment and later discover that we shouldn’t have done so then we will ask you to pay the money back.
The government and the council will not tolerate any council tax payer falsifying their records or providing false evidence to gain access to the energy rebate payment. Anyone who provides inaccurate or misleading information may be guilty of fraud under the Fraud Act 2006.
If you have an urgent query please email the energy rebate payment team at email@example.com or call 01242 264320. Please quote your council tax account number and name and address so that we can answer your query