Can I claim?

For the purpose of calculating benefits, a student is classed as a person who is attending a course of study at an educational establishment.

Most full-time students cannot claim housing benefit because the government expects them to use other money such as their grant, student loan or access funds to pay their rent.

You might be able to claim if you are a student:

  • attending a part-time course
  • under 19 not in higher education
  • who has children
  • who is a single foster parent
  • aged 60 or over
  • who gets income support or income based Jobseekers allowance
  • who qualifies for a disability premium
  • who has not been able to work for 28 weeks
  • who qualifies for a disabled student's allowance because you are deaf
  • with a partner who is not a student
  • who has had to interrupt your course due to illness

Our leaflet explains in more details what to do if you think you may qualify.