The Covid-19 pandemic has been particularly severe on the livelihoods of hackney carriage (taxi) and private hire licence holders. In order to assist the trade’s recovery, we have adopted standards for partition screens installed in licensed vehicles licensed by Cheltenham Borough Council (Appendix K – Partition Screens in Licensed Vehicles). You should also have regard to the DfT's safety screens for taxis and PHVs guidance.
The purpose of the policy is to provide drivers with physical protection against transmission of the virus in their workplace, to provide protection for passengers, and to, more generally, provide public confidence and assurance.
If you have, or plan to install a partition screen in your licensed vehicle, you must seek permission from the licensing section. You must complete a short application form and return it to us.
Please note that partition screens installed without permission might result in the suspension of your vehicle licence under section 68 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.
To facilitate the installation of partition screens, we have made available grants for Cheltenham licensed vehicles to install partition screens. A grant of 50% of the cost of the partition screen and installtion to the maximum of £30 can be claimed for the installation of a partition screen subject to the terms and conditions below. The value of the grant is sufficient to cover up to 50% of entry level partition screens that comply with the authority’s technical requirements.
Cheltenham licensed vehicle proprietors can apply for the grant by completing the partition screen application form.
Subject to the terms and conditions below, retrospective payment will be processed for Cheltenham licensed vehicles fitted with partition screens prior to the grants being made available.
Terms and conditions
- The claim must be submitted by the vehicle licence holder, licensed by this authority and from the registered email address
- valid receipt issued by the manufacturer of fitter must accompany the grant application
- The partition screen must comply with the adopted specification and requirements
- Each licensed vehicle is entitled to one grant payment subject to these terms and conditions
- Grant payment could take up to 14 days to be paid
- The vehicle must have been licensed by this authority when the partition screen was installed
- The authority reserves the right to make further enquiries relating to any claim submitted and refuse payment where one or more of these terms and conditions are not adhered to