When do I need building regulations approval?

If you are planning to carry out building work, it must comply with regulations. Although this is not a definitive list, the following types of projects will require building regulation approval:

If your proposed building works involve groundfloor extensions, new dwellings or garages, please remember to check for building over sewers before making an application. Please also refer to the building work, replacements and repairs to your home booklet.

Customer survey

If you have recently worked with one of the Cheltenham and Tewkesbury building control officers, please take a few minutes to feedback on your experience through this survey.

Exempt works

Not all buildings and extensions are subject to building regulations. Works that may be exempt from building regulations, if they follow certain exemption requirements, include:

If you have any any doubts about the need for building works approval, please contact our building control team.