Further support and advice
Cheltenham Borough Council community engagement team
Cheltenham Borough Council engagement team provides advice and support to voluntary and community groups, and those wishing to become more involved in their local community. You are welcome to contact us by post, telephone or email. We are also on Facebook and Twitter. You can read about the 2011 Localism Act online.
Richard Gibson, Manager: 01242 775354
Organisations/ Cheltenham Partnerships
Helen Down, partnerships officer: 01242 774960
Place based groups & Armed Forces Community Covenant
Hannah Wright, assistant (neighbourhoods): 01242 775156
Communities of interest (BME, impairments, older people)
Tanya Stacey, assistant (inclusion): 01242 775205
The 'You're Welcome' website is part of a ten-year plan set up by Barnwood Trust. It’s all about creating more welcoming and inclusive communities across Gloucestershire to help people do the things they enjoy, and get to know more people where they live. You’re Welcome is for everyone, from all walks of life, and that includes people for whom life can sometimes be tricky. Cheltenham Borough Council engagement team are members of the Gloucestershire Community of Practice, which is hosted by Barnwood Trust as part of their ten year plan.
You’re Welcome is based on the belief that:
- everyone has something they care about and something to offer;
- it is in doing things together that barriers between people are broken down, confidence is built and opportunities emerge; and
- that we should focus on what’s strong not what’s wrong.
It’s about a neighbourhood, a block of flats, a group of streets, an estate or village, where everyone:
- knows someone to say hello to and have a cup of tea with;
- has something they care about and something to offer;
- has people to call on if they need a hand;
- has the confidence to leave their house and join in, because they know they’ll be welcome;
- has a voice in the future; and
- is building their community, every day.
Gloucestershire Association for Voluntary and Community Action
GAVCA is a charity that works within Gloucestershire communities to inspire and enable individuals and groups to make a difference in their local community. They help charities, social enterprises, community and voluntary groups to become more effective and influential and facilitate the local public sector and voluntary and community sector to work together.
GAVCA receives funding from Cheltenham Borough Council and plays an important role in supporting a range of group across the borough.
Third Sector Services
Third Sector Services, who have offices in Cheltenham, provide community transport and volunteer brokering.