Details for the position of senior commercial manager - major developments
About the role…
Cheltenham Borough Council has a strong place-shaping role in Cheltenham and across Gloucestershire and is increasingly directly involved in regeneration initiatives. We have a firm commitment to deliver housing, skills development and employment opportunities for our communities, and a strong commercial focus, which involves direct delivery through development projects.
Cheltenham Borough Council is now looking for an outstanding individual to spearhead commercial and financial matters relating to its major developments with the initial focus on its leading role in the delivery of the prestigious Golden Valley Development – home of Cyber Central UK – a unique £400m development encompassing housing, technology, employment and open spaces.
This high profile project will see a smart garden community created around a world-class cyber hub, called Cyber Central. Not only does the Golden Valley Development play a crucial role underpinning Cheltenham’s economic recovery, it also cements the town and surrounding area’s position as the UK’s cyber capital for generations to come.
The senior commercial manager – major developments will form a key part of Cheltenham Borough Council’s senior team, responsible for the financial and commercial management and delivery of a number of high profile and complex development contracts and joint ventures. Key to this role will be the finalisation, delivery and management of the development agreement/joint venture of the Golden Valley Development.
To be successful you will need…
- To be educated to degree level in a relevant field such as law, finance or contract management. A chartered accountant, lawyer or similar relevant specialism
- To be highly experienced development/commercial professional with a proven track record of successful delivery of complex and high value development projects
- Demonstrable evidence of successful management of the ‘lifecycle’ of a complex development, initiation, procurement, contract negotiation, contract close, contract management, dispute resolution, delivery and financial close
- Extensive experience of working with development appraisals and financial models, running reports and undertaking scenario planning in relation to financial implications of key aspects of development agreements
- To be IT literate (experience of working with complex financial models is desirable)
- The ability to work with development appraisal’s and other development/financial models
The successful candidate will have extensive experience of managing the legal and financial mechanisms and controls in relation to major development projects; negotiating, establishing and managing the contractual relationships with development partners to ensure thee world class Golden Valley development and other major development projects are delivered successfully, and that the council’s financial and legal interest are effectively managed.
About this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Cheltenham
If you would like to have an informal chat about the post, please contact Tim Atkins, managing director of place and economic development by email Tim.Atkins@cheltenham.gov.uk.
How to apply
Download and read the job description and person specification.
To apply please email email@example.com with your CV and cover letter quoting ref CBC052; tell us about your skills, knowledge, qualifications, experience and how they meet the criteria listed above and in the combined job description and person specification.
It’s important that we’re a good fit for each other, so let us know what’s important to you and why you want to work for Cheltenham Borough Council.
Closing date: Monday 12 April 2021 at 8am
Interview date: Week commencing 26 April 2021. There will be a two stage interview process consisting of a virtual interview at the start of the week and then a face to face interview at the end of the week.
Please note that if you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date shown on the advert, unfortunately your application has not been successful on this occasion.
Our organisation is committed to safeguarding the welfare of vulnerable adults, young people and children. Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire; provide references; proof of identity; nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.