Taxis in Cheltenham
Hackney carriage and private hire
There are two types of vehicle that can be licensed to carry fare paying passengers:
Hackney carriage vehicles
- white top light displaying the word “TAXI”
- displays green plate with black writing
- can be flagged down by passengers and can use designated taxi ranks
- can pick up without prior booking
- meter fares are set by the council
- limits are placed on the number of the vehicles licensed by Cheltenham Borough Council
Private hire vehicles
- displays yellow plate with black writing
- must be booked in advance of a journey
- the council has no control over the fare
- work for a private hire operator
- Private hire vehicles must be pre-booked and can't be flagged down on the street. If you haven't booked in advance, the journey is not insured
- Don't use a vehicle if you feel unsafe or the vehicle is in a state of disrepair
- If you feel uneasy, make a note of the number plate and driver’s licence number and text them to a friend or family member
- Sit in the back of the vehicle
- Keep your mobile phone where it is easily accessible
Report any concerns to our licensing team on 01242 264135 or email@example.com.
Wheelchair accessible taxis
Find a wheelchair accessible taxi.
Taxi rank map
To ensure you travel in a licensed taxi you should only use an authorised taxi rank. Use the map below to see taxi rank locations.
If you want to be or currently are a hackney carriage or private hire driver, there is licensing information available which details the licences needed to become a taxi driver and how to make an application for each one, as well as other useful information.