Work placements for students
Work experience placements can benefit all those involved, and are especially helpful for your future employability. You'll learn new skills, discover what it's like to work in a particular role, and this can help you shape your career goals. Work placements play a significant part in reducing youth unemployment.
Our offices are located in the heart of Cheltenham town centre and we're ideally placed to offer students a wide range of work experience opportunities, from building control to working in our busy press office.
If you are a student looking to understand more about the services we offer and are interested in a 1-2 week placement, please email email@example.com with a completed work experience request form. We will try our best to accommodate all requests, however this is not always possible.
What can you expect during your work experience with Cheltenham Borough Council?
If you haven't had any work experience before, it can be quite a daunting prospect, but don’t worry we've all been there! To help put you at ease, here’s an introduction of what to expect during your time with Cheltenham Borough Council.
You can expect:
- a work experience programme designed to meet your particular career needs
- a chance to see first-hand what happens in a typical day on the job
- an opportunity to meet different people in your chosen career area, ask questions and understand more about their industry
- encouragement and support
- a safe and secure placement where you will be treated fairly and with respect
Throughout your work experience, you will get a chance to:
- use and develop skills required in the workplace such as team working, good timekeeping and communication
- develop self-awareness and confidence
- understand the links between your school subjects and the world of work
- meet new people who could help you in the future
Where could you gain experience?
Cheltenham Borough Council carries out a variety of district council functions and it would be worth spending some time researching the individual departments before submitting our request. This will help us provide the best possible experience. You'll get a good idea about the sort of areas we cover by looking through our website. Start on the homepage and navigate to different service areas using the green buttons.
Feedback from previous students
Jake spent a week in our planning department and rated his experience as ‘excellent’.
I found the site visits the most useful because they gave me valuable experience of working outside the office and showed effectively what employment at the CBC planning department would be like.