Building regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure safety and health for people, including those with disabilities, in or around those buildings and to help conserve fuel and power.

Building regulations approval is not the same as obtaining planning permission for your work. In the same way, being granted planning permission is not the same as taking action to ensure that the work complies with building regulations. If you are having construction work carried out you will have health and safety responsibilities to consider and may need to notify us before starting work.

Contact building control


When do I need building regulations approval?

Information on building works that require, or are exempt from, building regulations approval

building control, building, guide

Extending your home

The Cheltenham and Tewkesbury building control guide to extending your home

A man in a white hard hat looking up at a building with scaffolding on

About building control

Why are building regulations required? Find information on the differences between planning permission and building regulations approval

labc logo

About the LABC

The LABC promote the design and construction of safe, accessible, environmentally efficient buildings that comply with building regulations

publicaccess logo

Submit or view your building regulation application

Submit and track progress of your building regulation application online using PublicAccess. Please note that building control records covering the Tewkesbury Borough Council area are not currently available

person filling out application form

Application forms and fees

Download a full plans or building notice application form. Find information on fees relating to building regulation applications

exclaimation mark

Failure to obtain building regulations approval

Find out what happens when the requirement for building regulations approval is over-looked


Further information under building control

Advice and guidance for building over public sewers. Find out how to deal with dangerous structures and how to obtain a demolition licence. Have your queries on the Party Wall Act answered

People with plans in a building

Competent persons

Find information about competent person schemes and works which may be covered under the schemes

planning portal logo

Planning Portal

Further information on building regulations can be found on the Planning Portal

Rolled up building plans

Have your say

If you have worked alongside the Cheltenham and Tewkesbury building control team, please use this survey to feedback on the teams work.