Licensing policy statement review
A review of Cheltenham Borough Council’s licensing policy statement has been undertaken in accordance with the requirements of the Licensing Act 2003.
Through the implementation of the licensing policy the council aims to effectively integrate the four licensing objectives with other initiatives that will:
- Reduce crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour;
- Promote public safety;
- Prevent public nuisance; and
- Protect children from harm.
Before determining the policy for the next five years, we are required to consult with a number of organisations, persons and bodies representing responsible authorities, interested parties (residents and businesses) and representatives of the licensed trade in our area.
We would therefore welcome comments on the proposed new policy.
The new policy proposed a number of changes to the existing policy, most notably:
- Inclusion of a new paragraph on “Promotion of equality (1.12)”;
- Removal of reference to Late Night Levy that no longer applies to Cheltenham;
- Inclusion of an addition section (6.13) to reflect the statutory guidance stating that the planning and licensing regimes are to be treated as separate regimes to avoid duplication and inefficiency;
- Replacing section on “Designated Public Places Orders” with “Public Spaces Protection Orders”; and
- Inclusion of a new section (6.66) to confirm the authority has not passed a resolution to exempt late night refreshment licensing based on designated locations, premises types and times.
Within the confines of statutory requirements and limitations, any aspect of the policy is open to comments, however we consider the promotion of the four licensing objectives listed above of particular importance and your comments and suggestions on these matters would be appreciated.
All comments must be received no later than 5 October 2020. Comments must be submitted in writing to either email@example.com or Licensing Section, Cheltenham Borough Council, Municipal Offices, Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 9SA.
If you have any queries regarding the policy, please contact the licensing section on firstname.lastname@example.org.