Cash grants to businesses
Full details on the grant scheme are in this government guidance.
Businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors
On 17 March the government announced cash grants of up to £25,000 for businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors.
- For eligible businesses occupying properties with rateable values up to £15,000 on 11 March 2020 the grant is £10,000
- For eligible businesses occupying properties with rateable values between £15,000 and £51,000 on 11 March 2020 the grant is £25,000
Businesses must be eligible for expanded retail discount to qualify for a grant. Check the guidance.
Businesses in any sector receiving the small business rate relief
Businesses that are receipt of small business rate relief on 11 March 2020 will receive a grant of £10,000. You can check this on your business rates bill issued in March. There are some exceptions.
- Properties which are occupied for personal use, e.g. private stables, beach huts and moorings will not qualify for a cash grant even if they are in receipt of relief
- Properties where the liability is calculated using the small business multiplier but not in receipt of small business rate relief will not qualify for the grant
Check the eligibility criteria
You will need to meet these eligibility criteria for a grant.
- grants apply to business properties only and are not per business
- The business must be a business rate payer
- it is not possible to receive two grants per property
- properties occupied for personal use are not eligible
- retail, leisure and hospitality grants are only available to all businesses that receive the Expanded Retail Discount with a rateable value of less than £51,000.
- Businesses that were in liquidation or were dissolved as of 11 March are not eligible
Check the guidance for business grants.
Grants are subject to state aid and a state aid declaration will be required from any business or organisation that receives public sector funding.
When will I receive this grant?
Payment has now been made to over 1,760 eligible businesses
Businesses that meet the eligibility criteria need to complete and return this form.
We are aiming for payments to be made within 5 working days of businesses submitting their form to us by email. Businesses should check the email address they provided for a remittance advice and check their bank account.
Our team are busy processing forms as they are received. Please don’t call the helpline to check if your form has been received or ask when you will receive the payment unless more than 5 working days have passed.
If you’re not sure whether you are eligible email email@example.com or call the business rates helpline on 01242 264255.
Information about all the help the government is making available to businesses can be found on their business support website.
How to appeal
If we notify you that you are not entitled to a grant you can request a review of the decision.
Checks to prevent fraud and money laundering
Councils are responsible for carrying out checks to ensure that payments for the government’s COVID-19 business grant scheme are made correctly. Cheltenham Borough Council will undertake checks for the purposes of preventing fraud and money laundering, and to verify your identity. These checks involve the processing of personal data about you, and this can be both before any money is paid and afterwards. Read more on how Cheltenham Borough Council will process the information held.