What is anti-social behaviour?

There is no simple definition for anti-social behaviour. Anti-social behaviour is persistently acting in a manner that causes or is likely to cause alarm or distress to other people. Different types of anti-social behaviour may be categorised as follows:

  • Disregard for community or personal well being (including noise, rowdy behaviour and nuisance behaviour)
  • Acts directed at people (including intimidation and harassment)
  • Environmental damage (including criminal damage, vandalism, litter and fly tipping or graffiti)
  • Misuse of public space (including street drinking, drug/substance misuse and dealing)

Who can help?

We will provide information or advice about anti-social behaviour to anyone who is seeking this assistance. If you wish to complain about anti-social behaviour and either own your own home or rent from a private landlord you can contact the council. If you rent your home from a housing association or are a Cheltenham Borough Homes tenant, you should report problems with neighbours to your local housing office who will advise you on the steps that can be taken to tackle the problem.

Anti-social behaviour which you consider as serious (e.g. threats of violence or drug dealing), and where you require assistance, should be reported to the police. The police will normally notify the council or housing association of any anti-social behaviour but you should also speak to the council or your housing office to provide your account of any incidents.

What happens next?

Each complaint of anti-social behaviour will be examined according to its own facts and circumstances. A designated council officer will be allocated to discuss the problem with you in full and this will allow them to make a decision on the best way to approach the problem and the type of action that could be taken. Persons making a complaint will be asked to provide details of the anti-social behaviour and, where known, the name and address of the person who it is alleged is behaving anti socially.

Types of action may include:

  • Support will be offered throughout the process to all parties involved and the use of support services, such as restorative justice, may be facilitated before more formal action is considered.
  • You may be asked to keep a diary record of incidents and to provide these to the council or housing association on a regular basis.
  • If another person is a witness to the anti-social behaviour that person can assist by providing a statement.
  • Information may be shared and exchanged between the council, housing associations and the police to assist in investigating anti-social behaviour complaints.
  • Enforcement action may be considered against those resposible for ASB if the problem cannot be resolved through alternative measures.

There are various sources of guidance and support available for victims of anti-social behaviour. We will strive to deal with your problem in the most appropriate manner and, where necessary, refer you to external partnership agencies for further support and assistance in dealing with the problem.

Useful contacts