Control of dust
Dust nuisance can be a major issue during construction and demolition work, resulting from activities such as excavation, burning, blasting and, in particular, vehicles using haul roads. Dust is also an issue at quarries, waste facilities, ports and other industrial sites. Typical operational sources include stack emissions, stockpiling and loading and unloading materials.
Methods to reduce the risk of causing dust nuisance include the following:
- installation of wheel washing facilities at site entrances/exits
- water spraying of haul roads and stockpiles
- reduction of speeds on haul roads
- seeding stockpiles for long-term cover
- seeding stockpiles with bonding agents
- sheeting of vehicles
- using sealed or sheeted containers/skips for waste materials
- erecting barriers or sheeting around works
- use of chutes to move materials
- fitting and maintaining of grit and dust arrestment plant
If you are suffering from a dust nuisance caused by another person's activities we may be able to help. We would have to prove that a nuisance was being caused to take formal action, and in most cases we would speak to the person generating the dust prior to the consideration of any formal action. Please contact us if you wish to report a nuisance caused by dust.