Advice on employing a tree surgeon

Before employing a tree surgeon to undertake work on your behalf you should ask to see the following documentation:

  • a copy of their public liability insurance (PLI). If you are employing an arboricultural consultant to undertake an examination of trees in your care, with recommendations for their management, they must have professional indemnity insurance
  • copies of their climbing, aerial rescue and chainsaw certificates
  • a risk assessment for the job in hand

All tree surgeons should be working to best arboricultural practice and according to British Standard 3998:2010 Tree work - Recommendations

The council employs contractors to undertake tree works to council owned trees and we keep recent copies of their insurance, qualifications, licences and so on.  Please contact the tree officers for this list of tree surgery contractors.

Further information from the Arboricultural Association

The Arboricultural Association run an approved tree contractor and arboricultural consultant scheme. This means they have undertaken checks to certify that particular companies and consultants are competent and fully certified.  A list of locally approved contractors and consultants under this scheme is available from their website.