How to report it

All work related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences must be reported to the relevant enforcing authority. This is a legal requirement for anyone who is an employer, self employed or in control of work premises under RIDDOR  - the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.

What must be reported

  • A death or major injury to an employee or any instance where a member of the public is killed or taken to hospital. This must be notified to the enforcing authority (which may be the council) without delay - by telephone for example. We will ask for brief details and give you immediate advice and a follow up visit. Within 10 days you must follow this up with a completed accident report form (F2508).
  • An accident which results in an injury which is not major, but causes the injured person to be away from work or unable to do their normal work for more than three days - you must send a completed accident form (F2508) to the Incident Contact Centre.
  • A specified dangerous occurrence which does not result in a reportable injury but clearly could have done - this must be reported immediately by telephone and followed up with a report form (F2508).
  • A reportable work related disease.

Why it must be reported

You have a legal duty to report any of the above incidents, but it is also important you report them so we can identify how and why the risks occurred and investigate serious accidents. This enables us to help and advise on preventative action to avoid a repeat incident.

Keeping records

You must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrence. This must include the date and method of reporting, the date, time and place of the event, personal details of those involved and a brief description of what happened.