A new crematorium for Cheltenham - the latest
The construction of Cheltenham’s new crematorium began in October 2017. Work is progressing well and is on time to complete by spring 2019 within budget.
Watch the construction of the new buildings yourself via our webcam overlooking the site.
When completed, two new chapels will be situated just to the east of the current cemetery with seating for 150 people and 75 people respectively. The artists impressions give an idea of just how impressive the new buildings will be. By incorporating Cotswold stone features they will reflect their setting in the local landscape and will benefit from extensive views towards the hills, generating a tranquil and beautiful environment.
Parking will be available for over 100 vehicles. Mourners will arrive through the gates of the current cemetery and use its existing road network to reach the new site. All traffic exiting the new crematorium will also return to Bouncers Lane with traffic other than hearses making use of a new road just outside the current southern boundary of the cemetery.
Map of the site
Timetable of works
- 2 October 2017 – work started on site. The first phase created a route for construction traffic leading from the end of Imjin Road, around the sports field, then east, close to the boundary with the cemetery to reach the site of the new buildings.
- January 2018 – The temporary access road was completed. Work began on the main site.
- March 2018 - Erection of the steel frame began.
- April 2018 - Erection of the steel frame completed.
- 8 October 2018 - Delivery of the new cremators. They are now being commissioned and fully tested.
- Spring 2019 – Opening of the new crematorium. Removal of the temporary access road and completion of the permanent exit road.