A new crematorium for Cheltenham
Following major £8.5m redevelopment works, the first services are set to be held in Cheltenham’s new state of the art crematorium at Bouncer’s Lane Cemetery on Monday 4 March 2019.
You'll find the two new Cotswold stone chapels just to the east of the former crematorium building with seating for 150 people and 75 people respectively.. Shrubs and wild flowers will continue to be planted as the seasons develop providing enhancements to the tranquil spaces surrounding the buildings and views towards the escarpment.
Parking will be available for over 100 vehicles. Mourners will arrive through the gates of the cemetery and use its existing road network to reach the new site. All traffic exiting the new crematorium will also return to Bouncers Lane, with traffic other than hearses making use of a new road just outside the current southern boundary of the cemetery.
Take a virtual tour
Watch our virtual fly-through videos of the new chapels. You'll find more here.
Map of the site
Artists impressions of the new development
Timetable of works
- 2 October 2017 – work started on site. The first phase created a route for construction traffic leading from the end of Imjin Road, around the sports field, then east, close to the boundary with the cemetery to reach the site of the new buildings.
- January 2018 – The temporary access road was completed. Work began on the main site.
- March 2018 - Erection of the steel frame began.
- April 2018 - Erection of the steel frame completed.
- 8 October 2018 - Delivery of the new cremators. They are now being commissioned and fully tested.
- Spring 2019 – Opening of the new crematorium. Removal of the temporary access road and completion of the permanent exit road.