A horse trough at Pittville Gates again
Published on 19th June 2013
The restoration of Pittville Gates is nearing completion and is transforming the appearance of the prominent corner on which they stand.
They are going to be one of Cheltenham’s landmarks again.
The restoration plan includes putting back a horse trough in front of the gateway in place of the one that stood there for many years. The original trough was installed in 1883 by the Cheltenham Ladies’ Society for the Protection of Animals, lead by Mrs Mary Champion. Sadly this trough disappeared, probably in the 1970s, so a replacement is needed.
It is proposed that the granite trough in the Promenade, at the southern end of the pedestrianised area outside the RBS building, should be moved to the gateway. However whilst it is believed Cheltenham Borough Council own this trough and has always provided the bedding plants for it, there is no record of the council’s ownership.
If you have any comments about the moving of this trough to Pittville Gates or have any comments on its ownership, or know anything about the disappearance of the one which originally stood by Pittville Gates, please email Friends of Pittville. For more information about the project visit the Friends of Pittville website.
For press enquiries contact: Kelly Carter, communications officer, telephone 01242 264154, email email@example.com