Published on 15th May 2018
Residents are reminded of the safe way to dispose of hazardous waste following reports of needles being found in public toilets and other public areas.
Hazardous waste such as syringes, diabetic needles and lancets post a significant health risk and need to be disposed of safely.
Using a special sharps box is the safest way to dispose of hypodermic needles. These are available on prescription from the local GP surgery or can be purchased directly from the pharmacy at a small cost. Once full, boxes must be returned sealed to either the local surgery or to one of the pharmacies in Gloucestershire participating in the take back scheme.
Local pharmacies which have signed up to the scheme include Cheltenham Pharmacy (Springbank), Badhams, Boots, Hazel Hawkes, Lloyds, Rowlands, Sainsbury’s, Spa Pharmacy and Superdrug. These pharmacies give out boxes for the safe disposal of syringes and then take them back.
For a full, up to date list please visit the Recycle for Gloucestershire website.
Councillor Chris Coleman, cabinet member for clean and green environment said: ‘’Hazardous waste poses a significant health risk and needs to be disposed of safely. Please do not place diabetic needles, syringes or lancets in any general refuse sacks, bins or public areas including toilets, as you may not only be risking your own health but that of the public and those who clean the facilities.’’
Please find below a list of pharmacies which are currently included in the syringe 'take back' scheme in Cheltenham (you may wish to contact the pharmacy to check they still accept them).
- Cheltenham Pharmacy (Severn Springbank Cheltenham)
- Badhams (18 Regent Street Cheltenham)
- Badhams (6 Prestbury Road Cheltenham)
- Badhams (256 London Road Cheltenham)
- Badhams (102 Whaddon Road Cheltenham)
- Badhams (62 Hewlett Road Cheltenham)
- Badhams (Swindon Road Cheltenham)
- Boots (Gallagher Park Tewkesbury Road Cheltenham)
- Boots (197-199 High Street Cheltenham)
- Hazel Hawkes (52 Windermere Road Cheltenham)
- Lloyds (56 Edinburgh Place Coronation Square Cheltenham)
- Lloyds (St Pauls Medical Centre 121 Swindon Rd Cheltenham)
- Lloyds (Waitrose Store Honeybourne Way Cheltenham)
- Rowlands (5 High Street Prestbury Cheltenham)
- Rowlands/College Pharmacy (139 Bath Road Cheltenham)
- Rowlands (244 Bath Road Leckhampton Cheltenham)
- Sainsbury's (Gallagher Retail Park Cheltenham)
- Spa Pharmacy (12 Rotunda Terrace Montpellier St Cheltenham)
- Superdrug (95-97 High Street Cheltenham)
- More articles in the news archive
- Cheltenham Borough Council news RSS feed