Horse Parade: Horses back to the stable
Published on 21st October 2011
Horse sculptures to be auctioned to raise money for charities.
The charities chosen by each sponsor are as follows:
- John Bakers Trojan horse by Carrie Reichardt and Nick Reynolds will raise funds for the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institute)
- Cheltenham Racecourses horse will raise funds for Cotswold Riding for the Disabled
- Ellenborough Parks horse, Ellie, by Sam Charles Hodgson is raising funds for Cobalt
- The Racing Posts horse by Sally Lancaster is being sold for the Prostate Cancer Charity
- The Regent Arcades horse by Alison Little is raising funds for the YMCA
- The University of Gloucestershire has two horses by PJ Crook, Pantomime horse will raise funds for the National Star College and Seahorse for Equus for the Pied Piper Appeal
- The Community horse funds will go to Artshape and Glenfall Primary School for other art projects
- The Peoples horse will support the Mayors Charities
Exhibitions and Education Manager, Sophia Wilson says: "The sculptures have generated lots of positive comments and discussion and many people have enjoyed seeking the horses out in their various locations, weve been really pleased to have had the opportunity to celebrate a key event in the towns history - the Cheltenham Festival Centenary - in this way. Its good to be raising money for charity as well at a time when they very much need support."
The horses will be on display at Cheltenham Racecourse from Monday 7 November for viewing and the auction runs 11-13 November. You can either email a bid to the Art Gallery & Museum or Cheltenham Racecourse, or if you are at the races 11-13 November, you can place a bid in person at the Horse Parade podium. Full details about the auction are available in a leaflet and on the Art Gallery & Museum and Cheltenham Racecourse websites.
Horse Parade is part of Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museums offsite programme, Off the wall, on the move. The programme includes exhibitions, events and activities inspired by the horse, our Stanley Spencer painting, Village Life and our collection of Cheltenham photographs.
Horse Parade also marks the centenary of The Cheltenham Festival, Cheltenhams most prestigious sporting event and is organised in partnership with Cheltenham Racecourse.
For further details and photo opportunities, please contact Anna Stanway, Marketing & Information Officer, tel 01242 775707 or Sophia Wilson, Exhibitions & Education Manager, tel 01242 775711