Get top tips at money advice roadshows
Published on 2nd December 2011
Come along to Cheltenham Borough Homes' free financial advice events
Top money advice will be on offer next week at three free roadshows being held at venues across the borough.
Visitors to the events, which have been organised by Cheltenham Borough Homes (CBH) in partnership with other local organisations, will be able to get top notch support and information on a range of money matters including: debt management, energy bills, bank accounts, saving schemes and welfare benefits advice.
Paul Stephenson, Deputy Chief Executive at CBH said: We understand that times are hard, especially at Christmas, and that many people are experiencing financial difficulties. Working closely with other local partners we have arranged these money advice roadshows to help people get the information and support they need to build a healthier financial future.
Specialist officers from CBH will be on hand to offer support, and advice will also be available from:
- Cheltenham Borough Council - housing benefit and benefit calculations
- Citizen Advice Bureau - debt support, benefit calculations, general queries
- Barclays Bank - banking queries and new bank account needs
- Gloucestershire Credit Union - explain and help to set-up a savings accounts
- Jobcentre Plus help with employment matters
- Illegal Money Lending Team (Stop Loan Sharks) - raise awareness of illegal money lending activities and offer confidential support
- A4e (Action 4 Employment) - debt management, borrowing/credit queries, banking, pension/retirement planning
The three roadshow events will be held on:
Monday 5th December, 10am - 3pm : Hester's Way Baptist Church
Wednesday 7th December, 10am - 3pm : St Paul 's Community House
Friday 9th December, 10am - 3pm : Oakley Community Resource Centre
Information booklets/leaflets will also be available from AgeUK, Department for Work and Pensions, Money Advice Service and on energy tariffs.
Visitors to the events will also be given the chance to take up a one-off event offer when they sign up for a savings account with the Gloucestershire Credit Union. The Illegal Money Lending Team is generously offering an additional £20 savings deposit to the first 20 new Credit Union Accounts opened at the events, providing that account holders have saved regularly for 13 weeks and that the account is still active.
These events are open to all members of the public and everyone is welcome to come along.
For further information, contact Grant Bailey (Benefits and Money Advisor) 01242 775283 firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for editors
Financial Inclusion Working Group
Launched in response to the growing financial challenges facing many households in todays society, the Financial Inclusion Working Group (FIWG) brings together partners from the public, private, community and voluntary sectors to co-ordinate a partnership response to promoting and improving financial inclusion across Cheltenham . Led by CBH the other members of the working group include:
- Cheltenham Borough Council
- Barclays Bank
- Cheltenham Citizen Advice Bureau
- Department of Work and Pensions
- Gloucestershire Credit Union
- Job Centre Plus
Cheltenham Borough Homes:
- CBH is one of the top rated ALMOs (Arms Length Management Organisations) in the country. ALMOs are not for profit companies that run social housing services for their local council
- Currently CBH manage and maintain around 5,000 tenant and leasehold properties with an overall satisfaction level of 85%, placing them in the top ten ALMOs nationally
- The organisations approach to community development and participation; governance and equality and diversity has been recognised as good practice nationally
- CBH continue to develop excellent services by working closely with customers. It will include building new homes and continuing to regenerate communities whilst tackling issues of worklessness and addressing social enterprise
For further information visit: www.cheltborohomes.org
Press contact: Catherine Best e: email@example.com t: 01242 775317