Building your own home
Self build can offer an alternative to traditional home ownership and an opportunity to own a sustainable and high quality designed home.
Self build is where the individual partly or wholly controls the design, funding, planning and building of a home. This can involve building part or all of a home oneself or alternatively hiring a contractor to do the same. Self builders can work as individuals or as a group.
Register your interest
Cheltenham Borough Council is committed to supporting both affordable and market housing and is working to make it easier for more people to build their own home.
The Self build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on local authorities to create a register of people who have expressed an interest in self build and custom build projects, if you would like to register an interest in building your own home, please initially email the following information to email@example.com
- Name, address and contact details.
- Title, age and nationality.
- Connection to the intended self-build area.
- Please state the nature of the self-build project you are interested in, including what you want to build.
- Please state where you wish to build the self-build project described above.
- Please state the finances you may have in place for this self-build project.
- Please state what you have done to progress the self-build project to date.
- Please state what additional help would be useful to progress the self-build project.
Sources of help, advice and funding
For help finding what type of self build is best for you and your budget visit the:
If you are looking for a building plot visit: