Building your own home
Self build can offer an alternative to traditional home ownership and an opportunity to own a sustainable and high quality designed home.
With self build you can partly or wholly control the design, funding, planning and building of your home. This can involve building part or all of your home yourself or alternatively hiring a contractor to do the same. Self builders can work as individuals or as a group.
Register your interest
Cheltenham Borough Council is committed to supporting both affordable and market housing and is working to make it easier for more people to build their own home.
The Self build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on local authorities to create a register of people who have expressed an interest in self build and custom build projects.
If you would like to register an interest in building your own home, please initially email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name, address and email address
- Title, age and nationality
- Connection to the intended self-build area
- Please state the nature of the self-build project you are interested in, including what you want to build
- Please state where you wish to build the self-build project described above
- Please state the finances you may have in place for this self-build project
- Please state what you have done to progress the self-build project to date
- Please state what additional help would be useful to progress the self-build project
Sources of help, advice and funding
For help finding what type of self build is best for you and your budget visit the self build portal.
If you are looking for a building plot visit:
As requested by Government in the Planning Practice Guidance, we have collated statistics about the current applicants' preferences on the register. These applicants registered between 1 April 2016 and 31 October 2019 and all information has been anonymised. This information is to be used by our planning teams, developers and individuals to inform any developments coming forward, to meet the demand for self and custom build homes in Cheltenham. This will be updated every 12 months.