Access (dropped kerbs) and hard surfaces

Dropping kerbs

If you are making a new access or altering existing access into your premises across a footpath you will need to obtain written consent from us (either through planning permission or a lawful development certificate as explained below).

You will also need permission from Gloucestershire Highways as the local Highway Authority.

You will need to apply for planning permission if:

  • the proposed dropped kerb is to be located on a main road (classified or trunk road)
  • permitted development rights have been removed for the constrution of a dropped kerb (you will be able to find this on previous planning permissions associated with the property)
  • the proposed drop kerb is the only work to be undertaken. (If the dropped kerb would be in conjunction with something that would be 'permitted development' such as the resurfacing of the driveway with a permeable material then a certificate of lawful development can be applied for)

Other considerations to be made

When the dropped kerb:  

  • involves the removal of a tree in a conservation area or protected by a tree preservation order (TPO) you will need to make an application for works to a tree
  • will cross over land belonging to someone else and which does not form part of the public highway you will need a legal land easement from the owner
  • is to a listed building, you will need listed building consent if the building or boundary wall to the property needs to be altered

Paving your front garden - Hard surfacing

If the surface to be covered is more than five square metres and the proposed material is impermeable such as tarmac, you will require planning permission. Planning applications will take around 8 weeks to process.

An unlisted house will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses permeable (or porous) surfacing such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt which allows water to drain through or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally.

You will find guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens published jointly by the Environment Agency and Communities and Local Government.

How to apply

Householder planning applications can be made online on the Planning Portal website.

Otherwise you need to complete the lawful development certificate form. Please refer to the guidance notes and checklist.

Applications will require the following documents:

  • site location plan to an Ordnance Survey standard at a scale of 1:1250 accurately identifing the precise boundaries of the site, including any curtilage, garden or other outline in red. Ordnance Survey plans may be purchased from our planning reception and are currently £20
  • photographs to demonstrate the kerb to be dropped
  • block plan or sketch which should be to a recognised scale or with measurements (both will need to be in metric) to show the extent of the dropped kerb and the garden to be hard surfaced (if appropriate)
  • details of materials to be used in the construction of the driveway (if appropriate)

The information in both the form and plans must be clear and precise, sufficient for the council to make an accurate assessment against current planning legislation. Please note that further information may be required depending on the individual case.

If you have any questions please contact the planning department.