Updating your name, address or nationality

Updating your address on the electoral register

You need to register to vote every time you change address. You will need your National Insurance number in order to complete the application. When submitting an application please make sure you include your previous address as this information will be used to remove your name from your old address on the electoral register.

If you have moved out of Cheltenham you can use the same application to register to vote .You will be asked to provide your previous address on this form, and your new authority will then tell us so we can take your details off our register.

Remember to keep your details updated; it will help keep your credit history accurate. The electoral register can never be back-dated.

If you need to also update your Council Tax details, please contact the Council Tax Team.

Updating your name on the electoral register

To change your name on the electoral register, you have two options:

1. Update your name online

Go to GOV.UK and register to vote with your National Insurance number. You will be asked if you have ever changed your name, select "yes" and provide your most recent previous name. Providing your previous name will help avoid any irregularities.

2. Provide us with evidence

 For this option, please provide a copy of one of the following:

  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Overseas marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Amended birth certificate
  • Deed poll

You can provide the evidence in numerous ways:

  • By email - scan or take a photo of the document and send it to [email protected]. Please provide your details in the email.
  • By post - send a copy of the document, along with a covering letter to: Elections and registration section, Cheltenham Borough Council, Municipal Offices, Promendade, Cheltenham, GL50 9SA.
  • In person - bring the document to the address above and we can take a copy for you.

Change of nationality

If you have changed your nationality, you must update the electoral register as your nationality can affect which elections you can vote in. To update your nationality you can visit GOV.UK and register to vote or you can contact our office. We may ask you to supply us with evidence of your nationality (a copy, not the original document).

If you have dual nationality, including British (for example, British Italian) then you should list yourself as British as this will give you the most voting rights.

If you have any further queries, please email [email protected] or call 01242 264132.