Why overpayments happen
We may have to recalculate the amount of your benefit because of a change or because we've found we've made a mistake.
If your benefit goes down and we've already paid you the higher amount there will be an overpayment. The most common cause of overpayment is the time it takes between a change happening, you telling us about it and us dealing with it. Even if you tell us straight away and we deal with it quickly it is often impossible to avoid some overpayment.
Overpayments can happen because:
- you may have given us wrong information
- you may not have told us something we needed to know
- you may have been slow to tell us about a change
- we may have been slow to deal with something you told us
- we may have made a mistake
In the case of council tax support, we reduce your council tax bill each year in April based on your income at the time. If your income changes during the year, then you could have been under paid or overpaid and therefore we need to alter your council tax support which could mean an increase or decrease in the amount of council tax you have to pay.