Register a lottery/raffle
If you run a small society and want to operate a lottery or raffle you will need to be registered with Cheltenham Borough Council.
(For other types of lottery visit the Gambling Commission's website).
A society must be non-commercial, that is:
- for charitable purposes
- for the purpose of allowing participation in, or of supporting, sport, athletics or a cultural activity
- for any other purpose other than private gain
A lottery is an arrangement where:
- people pay to take part
- one or more prizes can be won
- winners are chosen wholly on chance
Limits on the size of a lottery
The total value of tickets must not exceed £20,000 for a single lottery or £250,000 for one year.
Find more information on running a lottery.
Registering a lottery
Before you apply to register your lottery with us, please read the full set of guidance notes.
You need to give us:
- completed application form to be emailed to email@example.com
- fee which can be paid by cheque (post/in person), debit/credit card (phone/in person) or cash (in person) - do not send cash in the post
The registration is for an unlimited period and does not have an expiry date. However there is an annual fee which must be paid before the anniversary of the society being registered. If you fail to pay this fee your registration will stop and you will need to apply for a new registration.
Once you have carried out your lottery, you will need to send a return to us with details of the amounts raised.