Current position on the Cheltenham Local Plan examination
W/C 29 October 2018: The Inspector's initial letter on the examination of the Cheltenham Plan is being sent to the council and all Reg. 19 respondents this week - deadline for any responses is midday on 29 November 2018.
Please refer to the letter for further details: ED002 Inspector's initial letter to the council and all Reg. 19 respondents re Cheltenham Plan (31.10.18)
Participants should regularly check the 'examination documents' section of the examination library for all up to date correspondence and documents submitted in relation to the examination.
Local Plan inspector
The Cheltenham Borough Council Local Plan 2011-2031 (the 'Plan') was sent for submission to the Secretary of State for independent examination by a planning inspector on 3 October 2018. Following formal acceptance on 15 October 2018 of the submitted Plan, the Secretary of State has appointed Wendy Burden BA(Hons) DipTP MRTPI to conduct the independent examination to assess the soundness of the Plan. Following completion of the examination, the inspector will issue a report for the council giving recommendations for action, which may include modifications to the Plan necessary to make it sound, as requested by the council.
Local Plan programme officer
The examination process will be administered by the programme officer, Tracey Smith who is independent of the council and will work under the direction of the Inspector. All communications/enquiries regarding the examination (including correspondence for the inspector) should be addressed to the programme officer using the contact details listed below.
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01242 264175
- Address for postal correspondence: Cambray Room, Cheltenham Borough Council, Municipal Offices, Promenade, Cheltenham GL50 9SA
Venue for hearing sessions
Unless otherwise stated, the hearings will be held in the Council Chamber, Cheltenham Borough Council, Municipal Offices, Promenade, Cheltenham GL50 9SA
Local Plan examination process and timetable
The hearing sessions of the examination will usually commence 10-14 weeks after an inspector has been appointed and may last up to 4-5 weeks with one or two breaks. The inspector may call a pre-hearing meeting to discuss procedureal issues or an exploratory meeting shortly after submission if they have issues requiring further investigation before proceeding with the examination.
- Submission: 3 October 2018
- Hearings commence: February/March 2019 - TBC
- Inspector’s report due: TBC
After the hearings have been formally closed, the examination remains open until the inspector's final report is submitted to the council. However, no further representations or evidence will be accepted after the hearing sessions unless this has been specifically requested by the inspector.
Local Plan examination library
The examination library comprises the following sections:
- Submission/Core documents - documents prepared and/or referred to in relation to the Plan (including the council's evidence base and supporting docs) submitted by the council to the planning inspectorate for independent examination.
- Examination documents - documents and correspondence prepared and/or submitted in relation to the examination of the submitted Plan.
- Hearing sessions - hearings timetable and programme, agendas, further statements prepared by participants and associated documents.