Help with fuel bills, energy efficiency and keeping warm
Energy efficiency in your home
Visit our energy efficiency pages for guidance on how to make your home more energy efficient and help save money.
Warm and Well tips and support
We've partnered with Severn Wye Energy Agency (SWEA) to share 'Energy 101 - tips for an energy efficient lifestyle' and ‘Top 10 tips for energy saving in the home’. Leaflets with this information will also be available from Cheltenham Trust venues, to support those who are unable to access the internet.
The Warm and Well website also has a grants and funding section, which details various local and national grant schemes available. They also have advisors you can talk to about which scheme may work for you.
Severn Trent support schemes
Severn Trent Water have a number of schemes to help with paying your bills, including a Big Difference Scheme can offer a reduction of water bills up to 90%.
#WarmCheltenham is a project working to offer spaces to people who might not be able to keep themselves warm this winter
A place to come and keep warm! Get access to:
- Tea, coffee and toast
- Charging points
- Crossword/colouring books
The #WarmCheltenham warm places venues are:
- Cornerstone Centre – Oakley: Open Monday 12pm to 2.30pm, Wednesday 12pm to 4pm, Thursday 2pm to 4pm, Friday 1.30pm to 4pm
- Cheltenham Elim Church – Town centre: Open Tuesday 10am to 3pm
- Kings table, Trinity Cheltenham – Town centre: Open Monday and Friday 9.30am to 3pm
- School House Café – St Paul’s: Open Monday to Friday 9am to 3pm, Saturday 10am to 4pm
- Springbank Community Resource Centre: Open Monday to Friday 9am to 12pm
- Cheltenham Open Door – Alstone: Open Monday to Thursday 10am to 3pm
- Gas Green Baptist Church – St Peter’s: Open 9.30am to 1pm
- Holy Apostles Hall – Charlton Kings: Open Tuesday 9am to 4pm
- Hesters Way Baptist Church: Open Friday 10am to 12pm and Sunday 9.30am to 12pm
- Hesters Way Community Resource Centre, Cassin Drive, GL51 7SU: Open Friday 9.30am to 1pm
- St Pauls Community Hub, St Pauls Walk: Open Thursday 10am to 12pm
- Oakley Community Resource Centre, Clyde Crescent: Open Tuesday 10am to 12pm
- Bethesda Church, Great Norwood Street, Cheltenham, GL50 2AP: Open Wednesday 10am to 4pm
- Charlton Kings Club, 21 Church Street, GL53 8AP: Open Friday 12pm to 2.30pm
- Cheltenham Football Club, Whaddon Road, GL52 5NA: Open Monday 10am to 12pm (until 19 December 2022)
- SPTM Big Local, Gas Green Youth and Communtiy Centre, GL51 9HQ: Open Thursday 10am to 12pm
- Cambray Baptist Church, Cambray Place, GL50 1JS: Open Friday 12pm to 2pm
- 1st Prestbury Scout Group, The Burgage, Prestbury, GL52 3DN: Open Sunday 12pm to 5pm
All members have begun their #WarmCheltenham availability, please check directly with venues for opening times.
Donate the rebate
If you don’t need the energy rebate, please consider donating it. Donate the rebate via #WarmCheltenham and you will provide much needed support to those who need it.
Energy bills support scheme
The government will give every household in the country a discount of £400 off their electricity bill, via the energy bills support scheme.
You do not need to apply for the discount, and there’s no need to contact your energy supplier.
The discount will be applied to your monthly household electricity bill for 6 months starting in October 2022. You’ll get:
- £66 in October and November
- £67 in December, January, February and March
You’ll get the discount monthly, even if you pay for your energy quarterly or use a payment card.
Energy bills support scheme alternative funding (EBSS AF)
The Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS AF) is providing support of £400 for energy bills for households in England, Scotland, and Wales without a direct relationship to a domestic electricity supplier.
Cold Weather Payment
You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest.
The Winter Fuel Payment is usually paid automatically in November or December if you're eligible.