Housing and homelessness

Housing support

We can give advice, support and guidance if you're having difficulty paying your rent. Visit our housing options and advice pages for further information.

Paying your rent

You may be able to get help with your rent if you:

  • are on a low income
  • don't already get help with housing costs

Most people on a low income who are renting privately, from the council, or a housing association need to make a Universal Credit claim.

You could get housing benefit to help pay your rent if you’re on a low income and do not meet the criteria to claim Universal Credit.


The housing options team can help you find a suitable home for your needs or prevent you from losing your current home. There are many housing options available and the team will be able to discuss them with you. We can give you advice about whether you are homeless, at risk of homelessness or simply looking for help with your housing issue.

Find out more on the housing advice and homelessness pages. You may also be able to get advice from Shelter, the housing and homelessness charity and the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Rough sleepers

You can use the Streetlink website to let us know about someone who is sleeping rough, or to report a concern. This is an extremely quick and effective action that anyone can take so we can find and build relationships with individuals and help them find accommodation and support.