Corporate equality and diversity statement 2018/19
Under the Equality Act 2010, we now have to comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty which came into force in April 2011. The Equality Duty ensures that all public bodies play their part in making society fairer by tackling discrimination and providing equality of opportunity for all. As part of this we have a duty to set and publish equality objectives. We have developed three objectives that we feel are most important in promoting equality and diversity:
- Listening and responding to a wide-range of communities
- Promoting fair access to our services
- Ensuring fair employment practices
The actions we will take forward in the coming year are as follows:
Listening and responding to a wide-range of communities
We will continue to consult and engage communities in the commissioning and delivery of our services so that we are better able to provide services that are responsive to the needs of our customers.
- Ensure that our engagement activities pay regard to people who share the nine protected characteristics covered by the equality duty
- Continue to work in partnership with the police, housing providers and the voluntary sector to respond to incidents of hate crime through the Gloucestershire Hate Crime Partnership
- Continue to work in partnership with the police, the voluntary sector, education providers to reduce the risk of people being drawn into terrorism in order that we can meet our statutory obligations under the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015
Promoting fair access to our services
We will ensure that customers, service users and the wider community of Cheltenham have fair access to our services and are not discriminated against in any aspect of our service delivery.
- Continue to use an equality impact assessment process to assess the impacts of key decisions and policies on different groups of people.
- Embed equality considerations into commissioning and our procurement approaches to ensure that relevant equality issues are taken into account when designing and procuring services.
Ensuring fair employment practices
We will ensure fair and equal opportunity in all areas of employment, including recruitment and selection, appraisals, learning and development and the career development of our employees.
- Commit to the publication of workforce intelligence reports that will help monitor trends in our workforce in terms of recruitment, retention, turn-over and sickness absence
- Provide equality and diversity training for our employees so that they are able to help implement our equality objectives