Complaints about food problems

Who you need to report the food problem to will vary depending on the problem. In most cases, it will be either Cheltenham Borough Council Environmental Health or Gloucestershire County Council Trading Standards.

We investigate:

Gloucestershire Trading Standards will investigate: 

  • Food quality, for example sour milk, over-ripe fruit and vegetables.
  • False descriptions and/or inappropriate labelling of food and drink.
  • Food and drink that has been tampered with, for example water or fat added.
  • Food that is past its 'best before' date.

You can report an issue to Trading Standards through their website.

Foe general food standard enquiries, you can contact the Food Standards Agency (FSA) on 0330 332 7149 between 09:00 - 17:00 Monday to Friday.

What happens next?

Once we have collected the relevant information we will decide how to act and advise you on what to do next. The whole investigation process should take no more than one month, unless analysis has to be carried out, or we need information from other persons or organisations, including food manufacturers and other food authorities.