Workplaces we are responsible for
The enforcement of health and safety in workplaces is split between the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities such as Cheltenham Borough Council.
Local authorities are responsible for health and safety in the following workplaces:
- Hotels and catering
- Residential care homes
- Consumer services (eg launderettes, hairdressers, undertakers, shoe repairers, tyre and exhaust fitters).
The health and safety executive is responsible for health and safety in the following workplaces:
- Building sites
- Mines and quarries
- Chemical plants
- Nuclear and offshore installations.
- inspecting workplaces to make sure that risks from work are properly managed
- helping people meet their legal responsibilities
- recommending good practice
- investigating accidents or occupational ill health
- investigating complaints about working conditions or work practices
- giving advice on any aspect of health and safety
- promoting awareness and knowledge of safety issues through campaigns, newsletters, seminars or training courses.