Please read the information on this page before launching and attempting to complete either the new application or renewal form.
Currently, there is no option to save part completed forms. The form will time out after 15 minutes of inactivity; therefore you will need to be prepared to complete and submit the form in one session and without long pauses.
To avoid losing your progress, before opening and completing the form, make sure you:
1. Have all the necessary documents to hand in electronic format
Please ensure you have the following supporting documentation ready in electronic format to upload in the form as part of your application:
- Signed “Fit and Proper Persons” declarations for all relevant people. We have additional Fit and Proper Persons declaration form for you to use
- Floor plan showing the use of each room - such as bedroom, kitchen, bathroom - and locations of smoke and heat detectors and fire door
- Gas Installation - An original Certificate showing that the gas installation and appliances have been inspected by a Gas Safe registered Inspector in the 12 months prior to this application
- Electrical Installation Condition Report - An original Certificate showing that a competent person has inspected the electrical installation in the 5 years prior to this application
- Electrical Appliances - An original Certificate showing that the electrical appliances have been inspected by a competent person in the 12 months prior to this application (PAT certificate)
- Fire Detection - An original Certificate showing that the fire detection and warning system has been inspected, tested & serviced by a competent person in the 12 months prior to this application. This needs to comply to British Standard BS 5839 Part 1 and/or Part 6
- Emergency Lighting - An original Certificate showing that the emergency lighting (where installed) system has been inspected, tested & serviced by a competent person in the 12 months prior to this application
- Tenancy Agreement - A sample copy of the written terms for tenants
Submitting all of the above documentation will ensure your application is processed as quickly as possible.
2. Notify the required people
You must let certain people know in writing that you are going to make an application or give them a copy of it after submission. There will be separate declarations in the application form for each person that you will need to complete to declare that you have notified them. Read more about who you need to notify.
3. Have a credit or debit card ready to pay the application fee
The final step of the application form is to pay the licence application fee. Your application will only be submitted upon successful payment of the licence application fee, so please have a credit or debit card handy to pay the fee.
A step by step guide for completing the application form
Read our step by step guides to help you complete your online application:
- Download the guidance for new online applications
- Download the guidance for online renewal applications
Or visit the HMO renewals page for renewals.