Sex establishment licence
Sex establishment licences
To run a sex shop - that is to say any premises selling sex toys, books or videos - you may need a licence from us under the provisions of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982. To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you also need a licence from us.
However, you may apply to us requesting that we waive the requirement of a licence.
- Find out how to make an application
- must be at least 18 years old
- must not be disqualified from holding a licence
- must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
- must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal
Application evaluation process
Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached.
Applications must be in writing (including by electronic means) and contain any information that we require, as well as the applicant's name, address and, where the applicant is an individual, their age, plus the address of the premises.
Applicants must give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper.
Pages in Sex establishment licence
- 1 You are here: Sex establishment licences
- 2 Making an application
- 3 What happens next?
- 4 Transferring your sex establishment licence
- 5 Redress procedure
- 6 Fees