If you are a full time student, or living with a student, you may be eligible for a discount

Single person discount

If you are the only person over the age of 18 living in your home, you can apply for a 25 per cent reduction

Disabled person

You may be able to get a reduction if you, or an adult or child living with you, is permanently disabled

Full time carer

You may be able to get a discount on your council tax bill if you give or receive care

Person receiving child benefit

Find out what discount is available for people receiving child benefits

Unoccupied property

Find out what discounts are available if you own an unoccupied property

Apprentice or youth trainee

You may be able to get a discount if someone living in your home is an apprentice or youth trainee

Person under 18

Exemption available if everyone living in a property is under 18 years old

Job related homes

Up to 50% discount if you own a second home occupied as a job related dwelling

Uninhabitable property

Discounts for properties considered uninhabitable

Exempt properties

Some properties - both occupied and unoccupied - are exempt from council tax

Severely mentally impaired person

Exemption is available if a property occupied only by severely mentally impaired person(s). 

You may qualify for a discount if you live with someone who is severely mentally impaired and no other adults, or only adults who have been disregarded for council tax purposes.

Additional information