Council tax support

Cheltenham's council tax support scheme

You can apply for council tax support whether you own your own home, rent from a social or private landlord, are unemployed or are working. The more money you have coming into your home, the less support we can give you.

How much will I get?

The most you can get is a 100% reduction. How much you get depends on:

  • your circumstances (such as income, number of children)
  • your household income - this includes things like savings, pension, your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

How do I claim?

Find out how to make a claim for housing benefit or council tax support.

Second adult rebate

If you are of pensionable age, you may be entitled to a benefit called "second adult rebate". This is a form of council tax support that is available to council tax payers who do not have a partner, but share their home with someone on a low income who is not a paying lodger. Second adult rebate is not available to people of working age. Find out more infomation and how to claim.

Other information

Information on all other benefits can be found on the GOV.UK website.

You can read a summary of our working age council tax support scheme, or you can download full details of the scheme.

For details of the pension age council tax support scheme, please contact our benefits and support helpline on 01242 264341.