Confirmation of permitted development
A CLPUD (Certificate of lawful proposed use or development) application is a way of getting written confirmation that your proposed works fall within permitted development and do not require formal planning permission. This confirms that planning permission is not necessary for your proposal and proves very helpful should you come to sell your property or premises.
Before submitting an application, please check whether your proposal falls within the permitted development criteria by visiting The Planning Portal.
To make an application you will need to submit the following documents/information:
- Completed application form
- Site location plan
- Proposed block plan
- Existing and proposed floor plans and elevations
- Applications can either be submitted electronically via the Planning Portal, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to Planning, Municipal Offices, Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 9SA. Download the application form
- The fee for a CLPUD application is half of the relevant planning application fee, for example for works or extensions to a residential property the fee is £103, a change of use is £231. Payments can be made electronically via the planning portal, over the phone by calling 01242 264235 or by cheque made payable to ‘Cheltenham Borough Council’ and sent to the address above
- A site location plan is an Ordnance Survey map at 1:1250 scale, this should identify the application site by having a red line drawn around the site boundary.
- If required, a proposed block plan is an Ordnance Survey map usually at a scale of 1:500 or 1:200 and should clearly identify the proposed development. For example this can include the outline of an extension, an area of hardstanding or position of a dropped kerb
- If required, existing and proposed plans should be drawn to a recognised scale, usually either 1:50 or 1:100. This should clearly show the proposed development. Plans should be annotated to identify existing and proposed materials