Enforcement notices

An appeal can also be made against an enforcement notice that has been served in respect of unauthorised development. This is a formal notice, requiring the land owner and any other responsible person to take certain specified actions. Anyone who has been served with an enforcement notice may submit an appeal to the Secretary of State, provided that this is done before the notice takes effect.

Only the applicant or a person served with an enforcement notice can make an appeal and there is no right of appeal for third parties or interested organisations.  However, anyone who has made written representations on an application will be notified if the application becomes the subject of an appeal.