Green Space Volunteers
What are Green Space Volunteers?
Cheltenham's Green Space Volunteers are groups of people who want to make a difference to the environment they live in, particularly the green space, in which Cheltenham has many.
What type of things do the volunteers do?
The volunteers work alongside the Community Ranger during the scheduled working groups.
The day begins with a chat about the tasks for the day including why the tasks is being carried out, how it will be completed and the Health and Safety element of the task. Tools and any protective items will be handed out before beginning. New members will be be introduced to the group and normally buddied up with a regular volunteer for the first working group.
Seasonal bulb planting
Cutting back shrubs
Sowing Urban Meadow mixes
Other tasks could include clearing reeds and vegetation from water bodies such as Hatherley Park, Pittville Park and Sandford Park.
Benefits of getting involved
There are many benefits of getting involved with volunteering in the towns parks and open spaces, not only for your own health and wellbeing but for others too.
Its a great place to meet like minded people and have a mini workout too in the outdoor environment.
Many of the current volunteers say "its nice to give something back" and "its nice to make a difference"
If you would like to get involved in a local working group please take a look at the current list of working groups.
All you need to take is yourself and your favourite pair of gardening gloves (we supply tools and gloves)
Dates of current working groups
The working groups that are currently run with the Community Ranger are:
- Hatherley Court Gardens, Hatherley Road: First Tuesday of the month,meet in the garden 9.30am untill 12.30pm. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friends of Pittville: First Thursday of the month, meet point depends of the tasks 9am until 11am. Contact email@example.com
- Sandford Park, Meet at Unwin Fountain, College Road: Second Tuesday of the month, 9.30am untill 12.30pm. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friends of Winston Churchill Garden, meet in garden, access from Lower High Street: working along Honeybourne Line Second Thursday of the month, 9am untill 12pm. Contact email@example.com
- Griffiths Avenue Local Nature Reserve, Griffiths Ave, St Marks: Third Tuesday of the month, 9:30 until 1pm. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friends of Pittville:Third Thursday of the month, meet point depends of the tasks 9am until 11am. Contact email@example.com
- Tewkesbury Road Rest Garden, meet at entrance to garden on Tewkesbury Road: Fourth Tuesday of the month, 9:30am untill 12:30pm. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friends of Winston Churchill Garden, meet in garden access from Lower high Street: Fourth Thursday of the month, 9am untill 12pm.Contact email@example.com
- Friends of Hatherley Park, meet at the park pavilion : Every Thursday, 2pm till 4pm. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friends of Leckhampton Hill and Charlton Kings Common (FOLK): information on the timings can be found on the Leckhampton Hill page.
- Friends of Pilley Bridge Local Nature Reserve: first Saturday of the month, 10.30am till12.30pm. Contact email@example.com
Refreshments are available at the working groups or some groups gather at the park cafes afterwards.
If you're interested in becoming involved please contact the Green Space Development Team firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also have opportunities for businesses who are looking for group volunteering activitiesif you would like more information please email the Green space Development Team