History of park
The gardens started life as a cemetery when the Parish Vestry acquired a small orchard on the southern side of the lower high street for use as a new burial ground between May 1830 and January 1831. The ground was cleared, leveled and enclosed by a perimeter wall.
St. Mary's mission was built in 1831 to serve the new burial ground and the building is now a Grade II Listed Building.
The first burial took place on 19 September 1831 and remained in use until 1864 when the new cemetery opened in Prestbury.
Following a period of neglect, the cemetery was purchased by the council in 1965 and developed into a garden. Most of the tombstones were cleared at this time but some are still visible.
The childen's play area was created in 1990 with help from pupils at Gloucester Road Primary School.