About disabled facilities grants

A disabled facilities grant (DFG) helps towards the cost of providing adaptations and facilities which make a disabled person safer and more mobile within their home. These grants are given by the council under Part I of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996. For more information please read our information sheet on disabled facilities grants.

To apply for assistance

The first step is to contact Gloucestershire Social Services and ask that the disabled person be assessed by an Occupational Therapist. If they think that adaptations are required they will then make a referral to the council and we will make arrangment to visit you to see if we can offer any grant assistance.

An applicant must be an owner or a tenant of a house, flat or mobile home, even if this is not the disabled person for whom the works are required.
Grants are only offered where a referral is received from an Occupational Therapist working for the county's social services department. 

For further information on disabled facilities grants please contact us. Further information on the legislation can be found at communities.gov.uk.

If you are a Cheltenham Borough Homes tenant, please read the the information sheet on disabled adaptations.