Make an application
Once you are satisfied you can meet the byelaws, you will need to apply for a personal and/or a premises registration to operate legally. If you are an employee and the business holds a personal registration you can operate under their personal registration. If you are self-employed, you will need to apply for your own personal registration.
A personal registration certificate will only be issued when it is associated with a registered premises. If you are looking to operate outside our boundary, you will need to contact the relevant local authority.
You will need to complete an application if you are a new practioner or premises or if you need to make a variation to your existing registration. Completed forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to Environmental Health, Cheltenham Borough Council, Municipal Offices, Promeande, Cheltenham GL50 9SA.
- Application for a personal registration - £107*
- Application for a premises registration - £107*
- Application to vary a personal registration - £50*
- Application to vary a premises registration - £50*
Replace a certificate
You will need to email email@example.com with the request and pay the fee of £17.00*.
Pay the application fee
The application fees are non-refundable and will only need to be paid once unless you move premises or wish to update your details.
If you cannot use the online payment system, you can pay by cheque made payable to 'Cheltenham Borough Council'.
Guidance and resources
We strongly advise practitioners and owners read the relevant guidance to make sure they can operate safely:
- Kent code of practice for hygienic skin piercing
- HSE COSHH SR04 manual cleaning and disinfecting surfaces leaflet
- HSE COSHH SR12 electrolysis, piercing, tattoo and general ventilation leaflet
- HSE indg342 blood borne viruses in the workplace leaflet
- HSE INDG330 selecting protective gloves
- HSE resources on sharps injuries
- World Health Organisation (WHO) handwash poster
Tattooing and piercing
- The British Acupuncture Council
- Code of Safe Practice for Acupuncture 2016
- The Acupuncture Society
- The British Medical Acupuncture Society
- Acupuncture Association of Chartered Physiotherapists
*Fees apply for the 2019/20 financial year and are subject to change each year.