Household refuse collection
Green household refuse bin
Find out when your bin collection day is.
When there is a bank holiday in the week, refuse is normally collected one day later. Separate arrangements are made for the Christmas/New Year period. Check our bank holiday collections page for details.
The green bin is for non-recyclable waste only. Your green refuse bin will be emptied every fortnight, alternating with your green recycling box collections.
- Please make sure all rubbish is placed inside the bin with the lid fully closed. Bags of waste left by the side of bins will not be collected
- Please present your bin at the kerbside for collection by 7am
What materials should I not put in my green refuse bin?
Please do not put any of the following materials into your green bin:
- stones, gravel, rubble, builders' waste
- garden waste, soil
- clinical waste including sharp objects, needles
- hazardous waste, including oils and chemicals
- DIY materials, such as construction waste, tiles, paint tins
- electrical goods
- waste generated from businesses
Lost or stolen bins
You can contact customer services to purchase a replacement domestic green bin. Delivery can take up to 14 days.
You cannot purchase additional wheeled bins. Residents are reminded to take advantage of all recycling facilities available to them.
Householders' duty of care
All householders in England have a legal responsibility to ensure that all of their waste is disposed of properly. Under the Duty of Care regulations, all householders need to ensure that their refuse is passed to authorised carriers only. Householders not taking reasonable measures to do so could face fines of up to £5,000.
The Environment Agency has more information about householders' responsibilities, and the Defra website has detailed questions and answers about the Duty of Care.
If you are using the council to take away all your refuse, then there is nothing more you need to do. If you are using a builder, gardener or house clearer to take away building, garden or household waste, you must ensure they possess an authorised waste carrier's number. If in doubt, you can check their details with the Environment Agency online or by calling 08708 506506.
Pages in Household refuse collection
- 1 You are here: Green household refuse bin
- 2 Green refuse bin - FAQs