Local authority searches

Due to the increase of search requests (as a result of the ‘Stamp Duty  Holiday’) we are struggling to maintain our usual turnaround time of 5 working days.  Please allow up to 10 working days.

Data Protection Act 2018

Cheltenham Borough Council provides land charge services to you under the Local Land Charges Act 1975 and Limitations Act. We will use your personal information submitted on your application to provide those services to you only. For further information about how the council uses information it holds about you please go to how we use your data.

About local authority searches

Every time a property or plot of land is purchased, leased or a valuation carried out, a search is sent to our land charge department at Cheltenham Borough Council.

Searches are usually made on your behalf by your solicitor. The search will reveal information that the council holds on that particular property or plot of land. 

Examples of information given in the search include:

  • planning history of the property
  • conservation areas
  • smoke control orders
  • listed building status -  Listing Notice for LCS Entries
  • tree preservation orders

VAT payments on CON29 and CON29O search fees

VAT, at the standard rate of 20%, is now payable on CON29 and CON29O enquiries. This change came into effect on 1 January 2017.

Find out more

Submitting a search

Information on how to submit a local authority search.

Local land search question 3.13 CON29R enquiries

Cheltenham Borough Council does not hold detailed information on radon levels within its area. Public Health England (PHE) holds information on radon levels in the UK, and conducts chargeable radon surveys for government departments, local councils, other organisations, and private householders. PHE has published a map showing where high levels are more likely. For more detailed information please visit the UK Radon website.